Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Location of the city Nephi
I am thinking of the Ohio river Mississippi confluence as a better location for the city of Nephi perhaps somewhere near Mound City. It is closer to where the waters of Mormon may be and I believe close enough to the Land of Zarahemla to be made in the time allotted for the Journey. Of course I assume an average daily travel 25 miles. I choose this range because even though I am over 60 years old and a little overweight I could do this with a moderate pack of 40 to 50 lbs. I assume that Nephites are not of the couch potato variety that we are these days. 3 miles per hour when moving in haste is not extreme and if a person is trying to escape I would be moving a minimum of all the daylight hours. Just a thought. so I am thinking at least 250 miles in ten days fro the Land of Nephi to the Land of Zarahemla.
(05-13-2017, 03:38 AM)elkmeister Wrote: I am thinking of the Ohio river Mississippi confluence as a better location for the city of Nephi perhaps somewhere near Mound City. It is closer to where the waters of Mormon may be and I believe close enough to the Land of Zarahemla to be made in the time allotted for the Journey. Of course I assume an average daily travel 25 miles. I choose this range because even though I am over 60 years old and a little overweight I could do this with a with a moderate pack of 40 to 50 lbs. I assume that Nephites are not of the couch potato variety that we are these days. 3 miles per hour when moving in haste is not extreme and if a person is trying to escape I would be moving a minimum of all the daylight hours. Just a thought. so I am thinking at least 250 miles in ten days fro the Land of Nephi to the Land of Zarahemla.

In your opinion, does the Book of Mormon text require that the city of Nephi and the Waters of Mormon be closer? The current logical model, which I try to base on the text alone, requires a 10-12 days journey to Zarahemla for the people of Alma. Their journey was escaping from Lamanites, so they would be moving fast at first. However, this was a journey of families and included women and children, flocks and herds (Alma 24) . For the pioneers with wagons, 15 miles was considered a good days travel and could be obtained on good days if nothing went wrong. I have also read that Roman soldiers could travel 25 miles a day, carrying all their gear. They were really in top shape though and a disciplined unit of professional men. I am just thinking 25 miles a day for 12 days straight is a bit optimistic for a group of families with children and flocks and herds to be shepherded. There would be lots of slowdowns too, rough terrains, detours, water crossings, bad weather, lost animals and people needing to be found, sick and injured. Then also, especially for a large group, there is only about 8 hours of daily travel available, after stopping to rest, prepare food, eat, sleep, make and break camp etc. At least that is what I was thinking. There are other advantages to St Louis for the city of Nephi -- the other lands of the Book of Mormon fit well in the surrounding areas there. Also it's an extremely strategic location also for travel and commerce (at the confluence of the Missouri, Mississippi, and Illinois rivers) and yet high enough up for good flood protection, which is why the early French and Spanish settlers picked it. Anyway, those were my thoughts when I placed it.

For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest, 
until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth.